Winter Brake Inspections at Graff Chevrolet in Bay City, MI
Is your vehicle having trouble stopping on the roads this winter that have been made slick by snow and ice? If you have a good set of winter tires, your brakes might be to blame. Brakes are a critical to your cars handling and should be replaced every 18,000 miles. It's not worth it to risk your safety by ignoring routine brake maintenance, especially in the winter season. Even if your brakes don't need service, it's a good idea to have them inspected regularly. You can have your winter brake inspection done at Graff Chevrolet in Bay City, MI.
Signs Your Brakes Need Service
Because of the increased risk with slippery, snowy roads, it's important to your safety to ensure your brakes can properly stop. If you're not sure when the last time your brakes were replaced or inspected, there are luckily some common signs to look out for that indicate you need brake service.
- Vehicle’s brake system warning light turns on – It’s tempting to ignore warning lights on our vehicle’s dashboards because you may think it’s something minor or fear having to pay for vehicle maintenance. We recommend you address all warning lights that show up, but the brake system warning light needs to be taken seriously.
- Vehicle’s brake pedal vibrates – This could mean a number of things, it could be that your brake pads aren’t gripping properly due to oil or debris, or that there are issues with your break disks and alignment. Or, you may have worn out suspension components. All of which greatly reduce the effectiveness of your brakes.
- Braking performance is inconsistent – Another issue that can be attributed to a number of malfunctioning parts, but winter is not the time to not be working inconsistently.
- Vehicle’s brake pedal feels soft or goes to the floor - Usually this means you have an issue with your brake fluid or that the brake pads are very worn. Either way, it’s not safe to drive with a vehicle with brakes that aren’t fully responsive.
- You hear screeching or grinding when you brake – Bring your car in immediately. That screeching noise means you have worn down the brake pads completely and it is now metal on metal, doing serious damage to your brake disks. This can cost you a whole lot more in repairs than a new pair of brake pads would!
- You can smell a burning odor – This means that your brake pads have overheated from use. When this happens, a glaze will develop on the brake pad once it cools down causing your braking performance to suffer as the disc may begin to slip through the clutches of the pad.
- Brakes are shedding metallic flakes – This is another sign that your brake pads have worn down and there is now metal on metal contact when you are trying to brake. This is an issue that needs to be addressed immediately.
Let Our Service EXPERTS Help!
It could SAVE you more than you think.
Schedule Winter Car Care and Routine Maintenance at Graff Chevrolet Bay City Online
If you feel that your vehicle’s brakes aren’t working as well as they used to, or notice any of the signs above, it's time for an inspection! Our professional and factory trained technicians are ready to perform a routine inspection and repair or replace your brake parts when necessary. You can count on our team at Graff Bay City to ensure you're back on the road in a timely manner in a safe vehicle. Conveniently schedule Winter Car Care and routine maintenance at Graff Chevrolet Bay City online or by giving us a call at (989) 684-4411. We look forward to seeing our neighbors from Bay City, Pinconning, Frankenmuth, Clio, Saginaw, and beyond at our Certified Service Center at 3636 Wilder Rd., Bay City, MI 48706!