Emergency Vehicle Kit Supplies for Car Care at Graff Chevrolet Bay City
The autumn weather in Michigan can, many times, be unpredictable. With the changing temperatures, there are also changes in road conditions. At Graff Chevrolet Bay City your safety is important to us. That's why we've put together essential and cold weather emergency vehicle kit supply lists that'll help you build a kit to get you through any situation on the road. Below, you can explore items we deem essential to have in an emergency kit all year, and get some ideas for what you'll want to have on hand in the colder months. Explore our supply lists and the rest of our Fall Car Care pages to learn more about how to keep yourself safe on the road and how to keep your vehicle running well throughout this season and beyond.
Have a Fall Car Care Question?
Ask Our Expert Auto TechsAsk a Question
Essential Supplies for Your Vehicle Emergency Kit
Here are the supplies or items we deem essential to keep in your vehicle all year long! These items will help you through many different situations you could possibly experience on the road, regardless of the weather condition!
- Jumper Cables – Jumper cables are essential because they can help get your car running when the battery has died. Although you'll need to have another car to help give you a jump, it's better to have cables than not. You shouldn't rely on a passerby to have them when you're in a crunch.
- Flashlights – Having a flashlight in your car is a great resource, especially if you find yourself stuck in the dark. Your flashlight will allow other drivers to see you if you have to walk away from you vehicle, and can help you look at your car in the dark.
- Cell Phone Charger – When put in an emergency situation, you will want to be able to communicate with emergency personnel, towing companies, insurance companies, or loved ones. Having a phone charger may seem unimportant is you're someone who usually has a good charge, but it's good to have just in case.
- Emergency Flares – If your emergency lights are not working, you will want another way to warn drivers of your presence on the road. Flares help signal other drivers to slow down and steer clear of your vehicle. They also help towing companies or emergency personnel, locate where you are so they can get to you faster.
- Emergency Money – Keeping extra cash in your vehicle can help you if you ever need a tow, or run out of gas. You never know when an unexpected expense will arise. Make sure to keep your cash safe and hidden to lower your risk of theft.
- Food and Water – If you find yourself stuck with your vehicle for an extended period of time, you will want to have a snack and some water to keep you sustained while you wait. Try packing a snack with protein to help you stay full longer. Water is also important for your body, and can help you with other things like clean-ups.
- First Aid Kit – Having a first aid kit is important for any situation. Some items to keep in your first aid kit include: Band-Aids, medical tape, Neosporin, Tylenol, and gauze. Make safety a priority by having a first aid kit available at all times.
Emergency Supplies for Cold Weather
Cold weather supplies are great to have in your car once the temperatures drop. They will help you stay warm, and can help you get your vehicle out of slippery situations. Take a look at what items you should have ready in case of an emergency:
- Blankets – Having a blanket may come in handy in more ways than you think! Blankets not only keep you warm, but they can also provide shade from the sun, or be used to clean up messes.
- Warm Clothes – If you are put in a situation where you have to be in the cold for a long period of time, it is important to keep your body warm. Keep extra gloves, hats, scarves, or even a coat in your car. You never know when you might have to walk to a safe location.
- Sand or Kitty Litter – You may have heard of this strange tip, but having sand or kitty litter in your vehicle can really help get you out of a slippery situation. By placing the sand or litter underneath your tires you can achieve better traction and get your vehicle unstuck in no time!
- Shovel or Scraper – Shovels and ice scrapers can be found in automotive sections or hardware stores and many other places when winter arrives. If you live in the Midwest, chances are you own these things already. They're easy to store in your backseat and are essential for the snowy weather.
- Tow Ropes – Michigan's snowy and icy roads can be treacherous and slippery! Keeping tow ropes in your vehicle can help get you back on the road with a little help from another vehicle. If your vehicle is capable of towing another, they are great to have in case you have to help someone else.
Schedule Your Fall Car Care Maintenance Appointment in Bay City at Graff Chevrolet
At Graff Chevrolet in Bay City, we hope you never have to actually use an emergency kit, but we also never want you to be without one on the road. With our vehicle emergency kit supply lists, you can start to build your own emergency kit based on your driving habits, personal needs, and location. We want to help you stay safe on the road, and want to make it convenient for you to take care of your vehicle. You can schedule your Fall Car Care maintenance appointment online with Graff Bay City Service Center or by giving us a call at (989) 684-4411, so you'll be ready for the cooler weather to come. Our Service Center is located at 3636 Wilder Road Bay City, MI 48706. We proudly serve the Bay City area as well as the neighboring communities including Saginaw, Midland, Birch Run, Pinconning, Essexville, and more!