Helpful Auto Care and Maintenance Tips | Graff Chevrolet Service Center
Here at Graff Chevrolet we would like to provide you with some helpful car care tips that will add length to the life of your vehicle and help save you money on unnecessary repairs:
- Keep a vehicle service log – keeping a record of all of the maintenance and repair procedures is very useful. You can use this information to plan your next oil change or break replacement and keep your vehicle running smoothly.
- Go easy on your vehicle during the break-in period – now that you’re behind the wheel of the Chevy you always wanted and you’re driving off the Graff Chevrolet lot, remember to take it easy on your vehicle for the first 1,000-1,500 miles. You should avoid excessive idling, excessive speeding and heavy loads. This is an important period in your vehicles life, take proper care and you will get back many years of use and enjoyment.
- Buy the right kind of fuel for your vehicle – Filling up your gas tank with a higher octane rating fuel than required by your vehicle is a waste of money. Some sports cars with high compression engines often recommend using high-octane fuels to reduce engine knock. Check your owner’s manual first, if it calls for regular, use regular because it is unlikely that you will notice the difference.
- Make checking fluid levels and tire pressure a habit – checking the oil, washer fluid levels, and tire pressure once a week is a simple task and can help you spot smaller problems before they turn into bigger ones.
- Fuel Economy tips – Gas prices are constantly on the rise. Here are a couple tips to help you save some fuel. Check your tire pressure, the information regarding proper tire inflation for your vehicle can be found on the sticker inside your driver’s door. Make sure you are using the proper oil viscosity. If you aren’t sure what oil viscosity you are suppose to use our ASE Certified service experts can help you determine the right one. Just by following these two tips alone can improve your fuel economy by as much as 10%!
- When refilling fluids, make sure you use the proper type – While checking and adding fluids to your vehicle it is important to remember to use the correct type and quantity. Too much or too little, or the wrong kind of fluid can cause major damage to your vehicles systems. If you aren’t sure which kinds of fluids to use, consult your owner’s manual or ask one of Graff Chevrolet Service Center’s ASE Certified technicians answer your questions.
- Keep your vehicle clean – Michigan winters can be harsh on your vehicle. The salt used to melt ice on the roads can be damaging to your vehicle and cause rust or can cause existing rust to spread. Take your car in to get washed routinely or if you prefer, wash it yourself at home.
- Remember to clean your vehicles interior as well – Your vehicle’s interior has many soft and porous surfaces and overtime if dirt, dust, and other particles are left unattended, they can break down these surfaces and diminish their beauty.